Hello Faithful Friends-
This week is going to be a challenge for all of us with the cold and snow. I pray that the weather does not disrupt your week too much. With these outrageous temps and it is easy to slip into the “winter doldrums”. Do something special for yourself if you can. Perhaps there will be extra time to read. And here is a thought – buy yourself some good dark chocolate. Chocolate can help to enhance mood and relieve anxiety. And you can blame it on the weather!
Prayer request – Please pray that our keynote speaker from Portland arrives safely tomorrow with the snow. Also please pray for those attending our Symposium on Tuesday and our event in Madison on Wednesday. There is a possibility to break records for the low temp. Crazy! I appreciate your prayers. Stay safe this week!
A couple of things that stood out for me last week-
Day 22 – The reflection asks if leaders are born (nature) or made (nurture). I have read a couple of articles (studies) on this and he is right that it is both – about 50/50. “On the one hand, leadership is an ‘elusive and electric quality’ that comes from God. On the other, leadership skills are distributed widely among every community, and should be cultivated and developed.” It is reassuring that God provides us gifts but, also, that we can take the initiative to grow.
Day 26 – God’s presence is evident to us. Exodus 3:12 – God tells Moses (an unlikely leader), “I will be with you.” Psalm 16:11 – “You make known to me the path of life; you fill me with joy in your presence…” And the reflection reminds us that throughout the ages God bolstered the confidence of fearful leaders with the promise of his presence.
The readings for this week are below. It is interesting that on Day 31 we read about both the Israelites, as God’s chosen people, exiting Egypt (actually crossing the Red Sea) and Jesus, our Savior, entering Jerusalem prior to his death on the cross. One dependent on the other.
- Monday: Day 28– Exodus 6:13– 8:32; Matthew 19:16– 30; Proverbs 3:11-20
- Tuesday: Day 29 – Exodus 9:1– 10:29; Matthew 20:1– 19; Psalm 17:6-12
- Wednesday: Day 30 – Exodus 11:1– 12:51; Matthew 20:20– 34; Psalm 17:13-15
- Thursday: Day 31 – Exodus 13:1– 14:31; Matthew 21:1– 17; Psalm 18:1-6
- Friday: Day 32 – Exodus 15:1– 16:36; Matthew 21:18– 32; Proverbs 3:21-35
- Saturday: Day 33 – Exodus 17:1– 18:27; Matthew 21:33– 22; Psalm 18:7-15
- Sunday: Day 34 – Exodus 19:1– 20:26; Matthew 22:15– 46; Psalm 18:16-24
May God Bless You and Keep You,
Linda Maris, JD